Tuesday, October 25

"IF I RULED THE WORLD ..."

I just don't understand. Not only did John Hawkins of "Right Wing News" ignore me and my right-of-center blog yet again in another of his polls, but the paltry 38 of 200 bloggers solicited who deigned to respond didn't choose me (or Tony Bennett, for that matter) to rule the world, and despite my eminent credentials and desire to lead.

So I lose on both counts. John Hawkins doesn't even get me into the polling booth. And, darn it anyway, my Cyberspace-friend, "The Anchoress," doesn't even bother to include me among her choices for global leadership, which is altogether heretical and shortsighted, don't you think? She once generously called a post of mine "genius," but I guess she didn't think a genius wrote it.

Tony Bennett sang a lovely, uplifting song for the jury of one but it nonetheless fell ignominiously on the deaf ears of Mr. Hawkins (and his select coterie of conservative pundits), so what possible chance could I have had, on reflection, no matter my exhuberant interest in the sublime post, had I been able to give voice to my abundant self-confidence or been able to wax megalomaniacal.

If I ruled the world, ev'ry day would be the first day of spring
Every heart would have a new song to sing
And we'd sing of the joy every morning would bring.

If I ruled the world, ev'ry man would be as free as a bird,
Ev'ry voice would be a voice to be heard
Take my word we would treasure each day that occurred.

My world would be a beautiful place
Where we would weave such wonderful dreams
My world would wear a smile on its face
Like the man in the moon has when the moon beams.

If I ruled the world every man would say the world was his friend
There'd be happiness that no man coud end
No my friend, not if I ruled the world.

Every head would be held up high
There'd be sunshine in everyone's sky
If the day ever dawned when I ruled the world.

Beautiful refrain, hey? Tony wears his heart on his sleave. Nice man. No doubt a "compassionate conservative" in the Bush '43 mold. And he's people-oriented. Haven't you noticed he's always hanging out in crowded piano bars?

But just like me and Red Buttons, Tony isn't invited to the dinner table of the 38 bloggers, nor does he get a much-coveted invitation from John. It's just plain wrong! We both got the shaft.

And, my God In Heaven, the choices that were made by self-styled right-of-center polibloggers: how does the Republican moderate (and social liberal) Rudy Giuliani make the list when he couldn't even survive the Ruffini poll; or Bill Gates, who's brazenly contributed to Harry Reid; or, of all people, Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had the gall this past week to tell the presient to go away? I like Margaret Thatcher and John Howard as selections and applaud those who nominated them, but why do some of you render unto God the things that are Caesar's in naming Pope Benedict XVI -- if that wouldn't cause a world-wide, Muslim-led Jihad, what would? And George Bush '43? Do you really want open borders in all nations and one, holistic, United Nations-style universal government, with a stubborn big spender at the helm? And Mark Steyn and Victor Davis Hanson are remarkably gifted writers and thinkers, no doubt, but so are Gore Vidal and Michael Kinsley and Woody Allen and none of them should be running anything, right?

So exactly what's wrong with me or Tony Bennett, or even us as a tag-team? Just think of the joy that every morning would bring? Besides, can Condi sing a cappella?