Monday, October 3

FROM INCENSED TO THOROUGHLY MYSTIFIED

To my prior post on President Bush's inscrutable selection of Harriet Miers to the United States Supreme Court, I add this piece of information found at "RedState.org" that is enough to take my reaction to the president's choice from incensed to thoroughly mystified.

I'm looking forward to the RNC's next phone call or mailer seeking contributions from this registered republican and stalwart conservative.

And to Polipundit's observation that the president's choice centered on "confirmability," I answer: the "art of the possible" is not what I want to see practiced in trying to reign in and turn in a strict constructionist direction a U.S. Supreme Court that has lost its way since the reprehensibly epochal decision in Roe vs. Wade. I'm not interested in ciphers. I'm not interested in under-the-radar nominees without judicial experience and a discernable track record.

Why as one who voted for president Bush in 2000 and in 2004, and for whom the litmus test was his Pro-Life values and the likely opportunity to impact SCOTUS in a favorable way, am I totally in the dark today on what Harriet Miers will bring to the United States Supreme Court?

I don't want the president or the Republican majority in the United States Senate running scared from liberal Senate democrats.

Now then, ponder this. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid voted against John Roberts' nomination, but has been quoted in the Washington Post (registration required) as saying the following with regard to Harriet Miers' nomination:

“I like Harriet Miers. As White House Counsel, she has worked with me in a courteous and professional manner. I am also impressed with the fact that she was a trailblazer for women as managing partner of a major Dallas law firm and as the first woman president of the Texas Bar Association.

“In my view, the Supreme Court would benefit from the addition of a justice who has real experience as a practicing lawyer. The current justices have all been chosen from the lower federal courts. A nominee with relevant non-judicial experience would bring a different and useful perspective to the Court.

“I look forward to the Judiciary Committee process which will help the American people learn more about Harriet Miers, and help the Senate determine whether she deserves a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court.”