Wednesday, October 5

DAVID FRUM ON BUSH AND MIERS

This NRO column by David Frum is a well-thought argument for why many conservatives are appropriately disappointed in the president for his nomination of Harriet Miers to replace Sandra Day O'Conner on the SCOTUS.

The following quote from that column particularly resonated with me, both in terms of my major issue with the man I voted for twice -- his stubborn indifference to the porous borders issue and the impact of chronic illegal immigration -- and the major issue of his liberal detractors, namely, that his only strategy in Iraq is to remain there, unwilling as he is to engage in a troop build-up or a staged withdrawal.

This president has never believed much in persuasion. He believes that the president should declare and that the country should then follow.

The "trust me" argument just doesn't cut it with me in terms of his nomination of Miers. My two votes for him do not command a blind allegiance and should not. After all, the president did not show an allegiance to his "base" in his impolitic selection of a cipher or in behaving these past five years as though an invasion across our southern border does not constitute a national security threat in this post-9/11 world.

FOLLOW-UP: From Hugh Hewitt: "Frum has spoken. The issue is settled." That's the pot calling the kettle black! And I think Frank Laughter" would agree with my observation given his own.

FOLLOW-UP II: "Wizbang's" Jay Tea weighs in with some thoughts in parallel with my own and I'm sure countless other conservatives.

FOLLOW-UP III: Wapo's Harold Meyerson provides a well-thought analysis from the Left (H/T: "Polipundit")

FOLLOW-UP IV: Leon H.'s thoughts on the president's "trust me" sales pitch, published at "REDSTATE.org"