Sunday, September 18

A TEACHER'S INTERVIEW

My daughter-in-law, Krissy, forwarded the following to me today via email attachment. I suspect it's making the rounds on the Internet and that some of you will have already read it; but, because it's the first time I have seen it, I've decided to share it with my regular readers and visitors, as it makes a worthwhile point that shouldn't be lost on people and particularly owing to what liberal, activist, federal judges have wrought in concert with their secular-progressive co-conspirators, such as the ACLU.

After being interviewed at length by a group of school administrators, the eager teaching prospect asked rhetorically, in the context of his understanding of their myriad expectations of him ...

Let me see if I get this right ... you want me to go into that room with all of those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love of learning.

And I'm also supposed to instill in each of them a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even censor their T-shirt messages and untoward dress habits.

You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases. You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, while ensuring that their self-esteem is kept intact.

You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play, how to register to vote, how to balance a checkbook, and even how to apply for a job.

On top of all that, I'm to check their heads for lice, maintain a safe classroom environment, recognize signs of anti-social behavior, make sure every student passes the state exams -- even those who don't come to school regularly or complete any of their homework assignments.

Plus, I am to make sure that all of the students with handicaps get an equal education regardless of the extent of their learning disabilities or physical handicaps.

Moreover, I'm to communicate regularly with the students' parents by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report cards. And all of this I am to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, a big smile AND ON A STARTING SALARY THAT QUALIFIES MY FAMILY FOR FOOD STAMPS!

The teacher candidate pauses, takes a breath, and then regroups:

You want me to do ALL OF THIS and yet you expect me ...


NOT TO PRAY ?!?!?!