Sunday, September 18

STARBUCKS: "THE WAY I SEE IT" OR "THE WAY WE WANT IT" (?)

I published this post on September 6th when my brother, who was traveling on business and had purchased a cup of coffee at an airport, called and alerted me to a Starbucks' advertising campaign, "The Way I See It," in which the company is printing a series of quotations on their coffee cups ostensibly designed to stir more than just the sugar and cream. Indeed, Starbucks' representatives claim the quotes are innocuous and the intent is simply to generate discussion among coffee drinkers on topical issues. That rationalization, however, is on the strength of the evidence altogether disingenuous. Read on ...

Yesterday my brother, who remains outraged (and I think justifiably so) over the campaign and swears he'll never purchase another cup of Starbucks' coffee as long as he lives, forwarded to me by email attachment this column published in "WorldNetDaily." Since I reside in Texas, the article is even more noteworthy.

Excerpts follow:

Officials at Baylor University told the Starbucks store on its Waco, Texas, campus to remove a cup said to promote homosexuality.

The offending cup, part of a series with quotes from various American thinkers called "The Way I See It," features the words of homosexual novelist Armistead Maupin.

It reads:

"My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

Baylor University, the world's largest Baptist school, refused to comment on the issue, said KCEN-TV in central Texas. Employees at the campus Starbucks said none of their customers had complained about the cup, but they removed it.


You may recall from that previous post of mine that the offending remark on my brother's cup of Starbucks was a Julian Bond quote on segregation in which the head of the NAACP opined that race is the biggest challenge we face in America and that our country and its people have been unequal to the challenge.

Do you buy a cup of coffee to be lectured on RACE and HOMOSEXUALITY and from a Liberal perspective? I suspect not.

The campaign appears to be about what Starbucks wants in terms of societal changes. Traditionalists ought to buy their coffee elsewhere lest Starbucks gives them more than just a caffeine headache! Stop buying their coffee and maybe their management will get their heads on straight (yes, pun intended).