Friday, September 16

NOTRE DAME AWAITS MSU IN SOUTH BEND

My son, Jim, who drove up to South Bend with his fiancee this morning, has called me twice so far this afternoon from the Notre Dame campus, his voice brimming with excitment over all of the pre-game festivities and rich traditions that comprise Fighting Irish football and expressing amazement at the size of the crowd already gathered in anticipation of tomorrow's home opener against Michigan State.

Both teams enter the game with 2-0 records, but the Michigan State Spartans travel to South Bend with the confidence of a football program that has won its last four consecutive games against The Irish and which, over the history of a rivalry that dates back to 1897, has won more games -- 11 -- in South Bend than any other opponent of Notre Dame's.

The Irish, who were not ranked in the Top 25 at the start of the season, enter this game ranked #10 in the nation on the strength of their two big wins on the road against Pittsburgh and Michigan. This will be ND's new Head Football Coach Charlie Weis' debut in Notre Dame Stadium. NBC is televising the game nationally.

I'll be sitting in front of my big screen T.V. donning my ND Football cap and wearing my Notre Dame Football THE SPIRIT LIVES T-shirt that Jim bought for me. And although it's still in the 90s through the day here on the outskirts of Houston, I'll crank up the A/C and have the beautiful Notre Dame blanket that my wife crocheted for me out for additional good luck. Jim and Jennifer will have one just like it with them up in South Bend and my son, Joe, and his wife, Krissy, just received theirs this week in time for the MSU game.

This family takes its Notre Dame football seriously!

My son and daughter-in-law-to-be (Jennifer) will be sitting near the student section on the west side of Touchdown Jesus at the north end of the stadium. If Notre Dame wins, I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead and got married in South Bend instead of waiting until next April in Florida, as they've planned! Something about that Irish mojo!

For some terrific information on the game click here and here.


GO IRISH !!!