Friday, August 19

BLOGROLL ENVY (A POLL ON BLOGROLLING)

Hey, it's a Friday and perhaps something a little light-hearted is in order.

"The Anchoress" published this post yesterday referencing a quick poll on blogrolling at the "Martha, Martha" blog and then offered her thoughts on her "blogrolling practices."

In turn, I found that Greg Wallace at "What Attitude Problem?" had posted his responses to the questions posed.

So here goes:

1) How important do you find it to be on someone's "Blogroll?"

For me, just 8 1/2 months into my first year of blogging, being linked in a site's blogroll has a number of benefits. First is that your site has been deemed meritorious, whether it has to do with the quality of the writing, the integrity of the writing, your credibility as a blogger, the perspective and range of topics (or niche) you cover, the regularity of new posts, the frequency of compelling links, and so forth. Second is that you most definitely gain "hits" and thus exposure for your views and the opportunity to build an audience over time. Third, and I say this sincerely, being blogrolled in many instances sets the stage for the development of friendships and a sense of community with other bloggers.

2) Do you scan blogrolls to see if you are listed?

Yes, sometimes, but that usually comes if I've noticed that a blogger has begun linking to me, or made a favorable reference to my site in a post(s), or writes about issues important to me and for which my hope is to earn a reciprocal link in his or her blogroll over time.

3) Do you list the person who listed you, simply because they've taken note of your blog?

Yes, in most instances, but not all. I have a "Quid Pro Quo" section in my Links/Blogroll where I list a number of bloggers from whom I've received the same courtesy and endorsement; but some of those bloggers have become so important to me for their writing and perspectives that were I dropped from their blogrolls, I'd continue to list them, but just under a different heading. I think both new and veteran bloggers, whose sites are ensconced in what Hugh Hewitt terms "the tail of the blogosphere" (i.e., those with small readerships), should be more mindful of reciprocal blogrolling.

4) Do you list people whose blogs you enjoy and actually view, or is it a status thing?

For me, it has not a thing to do with status. I list blogs that I find compelling, and for a number of reasons; and I even list those blogs with which I take issue so I and my readers are conversant in what "the other side of the blogosphere" is writing about and what they have to say. Where I error is in reading a compelling post and being too quick, in turn, to add the site to my blogroll as a way of going back to it, of remembering it. In that regard, I know I need to do some culling. While my blogging tends to focus on about a half-dozen issues of real importance to me, I do have eclectic interests and an enormous appetite for information and opinions, so my blogroll tends to be lengthy!

5) Do you find yourself feeling uncomfortable if you have been taken off of a person's blogroll?

"Uncomfortable" wouldn't apply; but were that to happen, I'd probably be inclined, given my competitive nature, to speculate as to why that had occurred.

6) Does this even factor into what you write or any part of your day?

No, not at all. I am primarily a poliblogger and I write about what fascinates me and the issues dear to me, and almost always with a passion. The other stuff (e.g., blogroll links) -- the indicators of acceptance, leverage, and ranking among bloggers -- while important, as my site is definitely not a personal journal, do not drive what I think or how I express it. But, as with most newbie bloggers, I long for a bigger readership for my viewpoints and (and it's only human nature) the indicators of "acceptance" from those bloggers whose writing craft and points of view I greatly admire.


Filed in: