Tuesday, June 28

UPDATE ON THAT 18 POUND HUNK OF BRISKET I'M WORKING ON!

It's approaching 5:30pm CDT, as I write this. The brisket went into the smoker at 9:15am CDT this morning, so it's been cooking "low-n-slow" for 8 and 1/4 hours now at just shy of 250 degrees F.

You can see the "bark" beginning to develop nicely now -- i.e., the crust on the meat formed by the mustard and the dry rub, and being kept moist by the "mop" I've been using.

The offset firebox is to the left of this photo of the cooking chamber, so, as you can see, I continue to keep the thicker end of the brisket, known as the "heel," nearer to the opening to the firebox. You "Q" artists will note I'm not only beginning to see some shrinkage in the brisket, but I've also cocked it so the "heel" is no longer quite as close to the firebox as it was this morning.

It appears to be coming along nicely, but there's a long way to go yet! My guess is the first barbecue brisket sandwich will be eaten tomorrow morning for breakfast. But more on that later.

Anyone out there beginning to drool yet?