Tuesday, June 28

UPDATE ON TEXAS-STYLE BRISKET

The brisket has been in the smoker for six (6) hours now. I just mopped it and the color of the meat is beautiful at this point, in part owing to the mustard I coated it with earlier this morning before applying the dry rub. In time, however, the outside of the meat will become very dark, indeed almost black.

It's quite hot here (and has been all of June). I suspect temperatures are in the 97 - 100 degrees range in our immediate area today. Accordingly, I've had trouble keeping the temperature in the cooking chamber at the 225 degrees F. level, which is optimal. Instead, it's generally held at 240 - 250 degrees F. As I wrote earlier, I just don't want to get above a 250 degrees F. threshold.

In the next several hours, I'll get a photo of the brisket for you. I have a feeling this is going to be exceptional "Q" when I'm done with it. I'd guess at this point that it'll be slow-cooking for another fifteen (15) to sixteen (16) hours. An 18 pound brisket should take 1 and 1/4 hours per pound minimum, which would require twenty-two (22) hours or so. I'll be up most of the night tending to this beauty! Hope the beer holds out.

Great "Q" requires patience!