Tuesday, May 17

ORDER YOUR VINO DIRECT FROM THE VINTNER

The "Houston Chronicle" (registration required) catches up with "The Happy Capitalist," who informed his readers yesterday of this delightful piece of news -- namely, that a U.S. Supreme Court decision has cleared the way for wine drinkers (oops, I beg your pardon, "wine aficionados") to buy their wines (if they so desire and many will) direct from out-of-state wineries, rather than through retail wine and liquor outlets. I know when I lived in Kentucky, as an example, I could not have wine shipped to me direct from California wine producers in Napa, Sonoma, or Mendocino.

So, to the Supremes who were on the majority side of the decision, I say: Alla Salute!

UPDATE (05/18/05):

This 5-4 decision isn't what many thought, including this writer: read this from MSNBC. Well, here in Texas a state law clears the way for we sippers of the grape, but you had better check your individual states, Dear Readers.