Sunday, March 20

THOUGHTFUL WOMEN WEIGH IN ON TERRI SCHIAVO CONTROVERSY

I delight in reading The Anchoress, Irish Law, and True Grit. All three of these marvelous writers are in my blogroll and I visit them regularly.

The character, Simon Bishop, in the movie "As Good As It Gets," and in discussing his love of painting portraits, observes: You look at someone long enough, you discover their humanity.

Well, the same can be said of reading the posts of these intelligent, sensitive, profoundly humane women.

Each has brought her own inimitable style and perspective to the Terri Schindler-Schiavo, life-and-death controversy, and I heartily recommend the following posts to you, as examples of splendid writing and even better hearts. Savor these posts, as I did:

From "The Anchoress"

From "Irish Law"

From "True Grit"

Perhaps if only Michael Schiavo were to read them, then he too would be capable of uttering to Terri the same line Jack Nicholson's character, Melvin Udall, uttered to Helen Hunt's character, Carol Connelly, in that same movie: You make me wanna be a better man.