Tuesday, March 1

OUTRAGEOUS: JUDGE GREER MUST RULE IF TERRI CAN RECEIVE EXTREME UNCTION

I'm Catholic, so when I read at BlogsforTerri just moments ago that among the motions Circuit Court Judge Greer will rule on during a hearing in his court scheduled for 1:30pm EST on Friday, March 4th, is whether or not Terri Schiavo is permitted to receive the sacrament of Extreme Unction, I came out of my chair. I'm not a lawyer. If a lawyer reads this post, I would very much appreciate an explanation of why this poor woman, a baptized, practicing Catholic at the time of her brain damage in 1990, needs the approval of a judge to receive the sacrament of Extreme Unction as she approaches death (should Judge Greer's death sentence not be overruled by a higher court)?

For non-Catholic readers of this post, Extreme Unction, otherwise known as the "Last Rites" of the Catholic Church, is an annointing of the dying by an ordained priest to give strength to the soul, mind, and body of the soon departed. It is a blessed sacrament.

Why is Terri Schindler-Schiavo's "Freedom of Religion" under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution a matter on which Judge Greer must rule? Why do I suspect it's because husband Michael once again stands between his wife and the rehabilitation she needs, the medical tests she should have, the medical treatments that might help her, the sacraments of her religion which are her right, the people she'd want by her side, and so forth? It's him, isn't it? It's this vile man.

If I were to lose my cognitive ability -- if anything were to befall me, no matter how deadly or odious -- my Catholicism stays with me now and through all eternity. How can any judge take that away from me, that which is in the province of God, not the province of man? I always thought that being an American assures me that my Catholicism could never be violated by my government or its courts.

Trust me, Dear Readers, the Terri Schindler-Schiavo controversy carries with it huge ramifications that reach far beyond the confining hospice walls of the room where Terri is in lock-down. If you're not motivated to rally to Terri's cause simply for her -- her human dignity, her right to life, her freedom of religion -- then do it for yourself and your loved ones. The forces of secularism are at work here and they must be defeated.