Wednesday, March 23

APOLOGIES -- JUST HARD TO WRITE FOLLOWING 11TH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS DECISION

While I am not surprised in the least that the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta voted as they did (2-1) in the Terri Schiavo case, because I have lost all faith in the judicial system in the context of this case and remain altogether pessimistic that Terri's feeding tube will ever be restored to her via court decree, I find myself feeling drained -- emotionally, intellectually, in myriad ways. Believe me, I am not looking for sympathy. Fact is, I'm annoyed at myself that I cannot get after the Terri Schiavo cause today, at least in terms of my blogging. To be sure, my heartfelt prayers continue. Here I am, feeling thoroughly wiped out and dispirited, and I haven't been deprived of food or water, or my liberties.

How Bob and Mary Schindler have held up and maintained their tenacity so well for so many years (or Terri's brother and sister, for that matter) I don't know? What remarkable people they are. What brave souls. I admire them so much. They are parents in the true definition of the word.

Maybe I'll come around before the day is out. Maybe I'll catch my second wind.

Regardless, the thought I would like to express to my readers, most of whom care deeply about Theresa, the Right-To-Life cause, the sanctity of life, and the dignity of man, is this:

Terri will likely not survive this latest round of unfavorable court rulings; but, she'll now have an immortality that she might not otherwise have had. So many pass from this Earth unnoticed and unremembered. But Terri has gone from relative obscurity, and the indignity of living in virtual lockdown in a grim hospice room in Florida, to worldwide recognition for her plight, her courage, and her humanity. And the cause of all severely handicapped people has been illuminated and elevated. Terri has become an icon in life and will surely become a patron saint in death for those of us who believe that man is God's creation and that our fundamental rights of life and liberty must be preserved in our laws, in the actions of our courts, and in our hearts and minds.

Michael Schiavo, George Felos, and Judge George Greer will no doubt prevail in extinguishing the life in her mortal body, but Theresa's spirit will soar, her cause will endure, and her soul will join those of the dearly departed in Heaven, where God will give her through all of eternity that which her husband refused her in this life. Terri's pain will soon be over. Before her awaits the Kingdom of Heaven, and in that knowledge, dear readers, we can all take solace.

If spirits can connect between two people who have never met, then I offer the following to Theresa in her waning, pain-filled hours:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

-St. Francis of Assisi-