Monday, February 7

A NUANCE IN BILL CLINTON'S ASPIRATIONS TO BECOME THE U.N.'s SECRETARY-GENERAL

I was linked yesterday by The Anchoress in this post, in which she points out something of which I was unaware, namely that because the U.S. is a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council there would have to be a rules change for Bill Clinton to be elected Secretary-General by the U.N. General Assembly. The Anchoress doesn't suggest that this presents any significant barrier to his ambitions. She does, however, speculate that it would be more probable for Hillary to land in the White House, if hubby holds off until wife is first esconced in the Oval Office. I think a Hillary candidacy will be a lightening rod in Republican ranks regardless and, contrary to Betsy Newmark's thoughts on the subject, that the scenario I have painted -- Bill becoming U.N. Secretary-General and Hillary becoming President of the United States -- is doable, and is more likely to become a History Channel segment ten years from now, than a Twilight Zone redo. In contemplating the Clinton-Clinton power grab, however, I do hear a horrifying sound echoing in my ears!