Thursday, January 13

WORLD WARS III & IV

One of my sons, who earned a B.A. in history in college, and, frankly, is someone who, with such strong political opinions and an avid interest in history ought to be a blogger, took issue with an email I wrote some time back to the family, in which I termed the "Cold War" World War III and the international "War On Terrorism" the equivalent of World War IV. He made a cogent case in replying that I was wrong and, deferential father that I am (he'll reel at that statement if he reads this), I let the exchange die and pretty much conceded his point.

But having found this on Hugh Hewitt's Blog this evening, I feel reinvigorated and may take up the argument with him again. He's younger (and a bit more intense than I, if that's possible) and has greater staying power; but, darn it anyway, I think the "Cold War" was indeed a war and there was armed conflict involved and many casualties. Examples: Korea; Russia's invasion of Hungary (which I remember vividly as a nine year old); the doomed Bay of Pigs Invasion; certainly Vietnam. Even the "Race In Space" between the U.S.S.R. and the U.S. exacted its toll in lost lives and spent treasure. And I fervently believe that if the so-called "War On Terror" is prosecuted as it should be, internationally and by all freedom-loving peoples, than it truly will be the equivalent of a World War -- the fourth on this planet.

Regardless, Norman Podheretz's column makes for compelling reading, and I thank Hugh for linking to it in his post of today. The beauty of the Blogosphere is that you're highly apt to stumble across a nugget or two that you'd not otherwise discover by just reading your local newspaper or a couple of weekly news magazines. Hugh's blogging typically turns up rich veins of ore.